container_stackerThe Bureau of Customs (BOC) has revoked effective Oct 7 its recently issued guidelines for lifting an abandonment order on import shipments, a development welcomed by customs brokers.

The repeal is in response “to legitimate concerns on the practicality of its implementation,” according to Customs Memorandum Order (CMO) No. 19-2014 signed by Customs commissioner John Phillip Sevilla.

CMO No. 19-2014 revoked CMO No. 18-2014, signed September 25 and which should have taken effect on Oct 13.

The new order said requests for lifting of abandonment should be made in accordance with procedures prior to the issuance of CMO No. 18-2014.

It added that the “Office of the Commissioner shall consult with affected stakeholders and concerned BOC operating divisions in the coming weeks, and will issue new guidelines thereafter.”

Chamber of Customs Brokers, Inc. president Joseph Tabirara told PortCalls in a text message “the mere fact that the BOC is being consultative is a green light for better bureau processes in the future.”

Last week, a few customs brokers staged a short protest at Gate 3 of the Manila South Harbor over their disapproval of CMO 18-2014.

The repealed CMO 18-2014 stated that only the Customs commissioner is authorized to defer or delay abandonment proceedings, or lift an abandonment order. This was seen by many sectors as making the process of lifting an abandonment order more difficult.

The same CMO said that unless there is a written order from the BOC commissioner, ongoing legal proceedings within BOC’s law division or legal services division or in any court, and auction of such goods, will still proceed “without interruption” despite such requests. – Roumina Pablo

You May Also Like

APECO pitches ecozone to Indonesian businesses

The Aurora Pacific Economic Zone and Freeport Authority is pitching its economic…

Camahort retiring from LBC Express by Oct.1

Miguel Angel Camahort is retiring as chairman of the Board, president and…
PortCalls August 27, 2025

PortCalls August 27, 2025

Our latest stories (Aug 27): International air freight forwarders in PH process…

Postal operators pause package shipments to US

Postal services around the world have announced suspension of shipment of low-value…