DOTr, MIAA to review unsolicited proposal for NAIA upgrade
  • The Department of Transportation and Manila International Airport Authority will review the P100-billion unsolicited proposal by the Manila International Airport Consortium to operate and maintain Ninoy Aquino International Airport
  • DOTr and MIAA will review the proposal at the same time continue development of a solicited procurement option
  • The DOTr is working with the Asian Development Bank and the Public Private Partnership Center to complete bidding terms of reference for the contract to operate and maintain NAIA

The Department of Transportation (DOTr) and Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) will review the P100-billion unsolicited proposal by the Manila International Airport Consortium (MIAC) to operate and maintain Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).

In a statement, DOTr said it received the proposal that “showed strong interest in operating NAIA from some of the world’s most experienced and capable operators.”

RELATED READ: New consortium proposes P100B upgrade of NAIA

Together with MIAA, DOTr said it will review the proposal in accordance with the Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) law and its implementing rules and regulations while also continuing development of a solicited procurement option.

Transport Secretary Jaime Bautista earlier said DOTr is working with the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Public Private Partnership Center to complete the bidding terms of reference (TOR) for the contract to operate and maintain NAIA. He said the TOR will be finalized by June or earlier.

READ: NAIA privatization TOR release expected in June

DOTr said “some of the proponents” have already met with the ADB—DOTr’s transaction advisor for the project—and expressed interest to participate in the open and solicited bidding.

“Any decision made on the procurement options will ensure that the strong investor interest in NAIA translates to the best possible outcome for the passengers and other airport stakeholders,” DOTr said.

MIAC is composed of Aboitiz InfraCapital, Inc.; AC Infrastructure Holdings Corp.; Asia’s Emerging Dragon Corp.; Alliance Global – Infracorp Development, Inc.; Filinvest Development Corp.; JG Summit Infrastructure Holdings Corp.; and US-based Global Infrastructure Partners, one of the leading infrastructure investors and airport operators in the world.

Airports currently and previously owned or operated by members of MIAC include Mactan-Cebu, Clark, London Gatwick, Edinburgh, London City and Sydney airports.

MIAC said its unsolicited proposal includes a significant upfront payment to the government and committed investments in new facilities and technology to transform NAIA into a world-class airport.

MIAC believes that with its significant capital investment and the implementation of its proposed operational and technological improvements, NAIA will have the ability to serve up to 62.5 million passengers per annum efficiently by 2028—more than double than its currently constrained design capacity, which stands at only 31 million passengers annually.

Pre-pandemic passenger traffic had already reached 48 million passengers in 2019, underscoring the need to upgrade the airport to meet growing demand.

You May Also Like
PPA revised policy on free storage period effective Aug 21

PPA revised policy on free storage period effective Aug 21

The Philippine Ports Authority’s revised policy on free storage period for containers…

Domestic air freight forwarders process 1.1% more cargo in first half of 2025

Domestic air freight forwarders in the Philippines handled 32.834 million kilograms (kg)…

Gebrüder Weiss opens PH office

Global transport and logistics company Gebrüder Weiss officially opened its office in…

New Batangas private port readied for multimodal integration

The newly-inaugurated Sinisian Lemery Batangas Port and Industrial Park Corp. is being…