Marcos commends BOC revenue collection, digitalization efforts
President Ferdinand Marcos., Jr (left) with Customs commissioner Bienvenido Rubio at the 123rd anniversary celebrations of the Bureau of Customs on February 7, 2025. Photos from the Presidential Communications Office.
  • President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr. cited the Bureau of Customs’ accomplishments, including its collection of record revenues and efforts at digitalization, at the agency’s 123rd founding anniversary on Feb 7 at the Philippine International Convention Center
  • The agency generated P931.046 billion in revenues last year, P40 billion more than the previous year’s P890.446 billion
  • Digitalization rate was at 96.99% as of December, helping close gaps for corruption

President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr. cited the Bureau of Customs’ (BOC) accomplishments, including its collection of record revenues and efforts at digitalization, at the agency’s 123rd founding anniversary on Feb 7 at the Philippine International Convention Center.

The bureau, he said, generated P931.046 billion in revenues last year, P40 billion more than the previous year’s P890.446 billion.

He stressed the importance of increased revenue collection, noting these are used in developing educational and infrastructure systems and many other projects.

He said government initiatives to reform are beginning to yield positive results. “I shall be direct: Throughout its 123-year history, the Bureau of Customs has never had an easy time. Various controversies and corruption allegations have eroded the public’s trust,” Marcos said. “But we are changing that. We will allow your accomplishments to speak for themselves.”

Since the start of the administration, the President said the BOC has continuously worked to improve trade facilitation.

Digitalization rate was at 96.99% as of December last year, helping close gaps that allowed avenues for corruption, he said.

Initiatives such as the Overstaying Cargo Tracking System, Enhanced e-Travel System, and ATA Carnet Monitoring System safeguard against inefficiency, expediting port cargo flow, he noted.

The President praised the BOC’s efforts to protect the country’s borders from economic exploitation. He noted the BOC confiscated more than P85.167 billion worth of smuggled goods last year, nearly doubling the P43.295 billion seized in 2023.

The bureau is also involved in government efforts to combat the government’s smuggling, protect local farmers, and prevent the circulation of illicit agricultural products in the market, Marcos said.

Twenty-one containers of frozen mackerel, valued at over P178.50 million, were seized and later distributed by the Department of Agriculture to families in various communities and care facilities.

In 2023, the rice seized from smugglers was given to residents of Capiz and Zamboanga, highlighting how the BOC’s efforts are crucial for development by assisting marginalized sectors.

According to the President, the BOC also de-accredited 56 importers and customs brokers involved in illegal activities.

You May Also Like

MARINA presses approval of bills to modernize shipbuilding, ship repair sectors

The Maritime Industry Authority is pushing for the enactment into law of…

PH local trade hits 16M tons in Q1 2025

The Philippines’ domestic trade reached 16.05 million tons amounting to P1.230 trillion…

MNHPI proposes 20.32% hike in cargo-handling tariff, other rates

Manila North Harbour Port is proposing a 20.32% hike in cargo-handling tariff,…
ICTSI’s Mexico terminal welcomes Wan Hai WSA2 service

ICTSI’s Mexico terminal welcomes Wan Hai WSA2 service

Contecon Manzanillo S.A. welcomed the inaugural call of containership Wan Hai A16…