-
President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr. retained his economic team while shuffling leadership of some agencies after calling for the courtesy resignation of all Cabinet secretaries
-
Trade Secretary Ma. Cristina Roque, Finance Secretary Ralph Recto, Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Arsenio Balisacan, Budget Secretary Amenah Pangandaman, and Special Assistant to the President for Investment and Economic Affairs Secretary Frederick Go will remain in their positions
-
Environment and Natural Resources Secretary Maria Antonia Yulo Loyzaga will be replaced by Energy Secretary Raphael Lotilla
President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr. has retained his economic team while shuffling leadership of some agencies after calling for the courtesy resignation of all Cabinet secretaries for a “bold reset” of the administration.
Marcos kept Trade and Industry Secretary Ma. Cristina Roque, Finance Secretary Ralph Recto, Economy, Planning and Development Secretary Arsenio Balisacan, Budget and Management Secretary Amenah Pangandaman, and Special Assistant to the President for Investment and Economic Affairs Secretary Frederick Go, Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin announced in a press briefing on May 23.
Bersamin, whose courtesy resignation was declined, said Marcos decided to take action on his economic team first because of the importance of their roles in the country.
Asked if Marcos has given a new marching order to the economic team, Bersamin said it is to “enhance our economic situation to the eyes of the outside world” as well as the domestic market.
Foreign Affairs Secretary Enrique Manalo will replace Antonio Manuel Lagdameo, Sr. as the country’s permanent representative to the United Nations (UN) on August 1, 2025.
Manalo will be replaced by former ambassador and DFA undersecretary Ma. Theresa Lazaro, effective July 31, 2025.
Bersamin noted Lagdameo earlier signified his desire to retire after many decades of service.
Environment and Natural Resources Secretary Maria Antonia Yulo Loyzaga will be replaced by Energy Secretary Raphael Lotilla.
Bersamin said Loyzaga may be given another assignment in the future.
Energy undersecretary Sharon Garin is officer-in-charge at the department.
Marcos, meanwhile, accepted the resignation of Human Settlements and Urban Development Secretary Jose Rizalino Acuzar, who will be appointed instead as Presidential Adviser for Pasig River Development with the rank of secretary.
Acuzar will be replaced by former department undersecretary Jose Ramon Aliling.
Bersamin said as of the morning of May 23, 52 Cabinet secretaries and appointees have submitted their courtesy resignations after Marcos, through a Malacañang announcement on May 22, called for the courtesy resignation of all Cabinet secretaries to give him the elbow room to evaluate performance of each department and determine who will continue to serve in line with his administration’s recalibrated priorities.
Bersamin said “careful evaluations” will be made in the coming days and they will make more announcements as decisions are made.
“Next week, maybe after Wednesday there will be more announcements to be made,” Bersamin said.
Marcos earlier said “the evolving needs of the country require a renewed alignment, faster execution, and a results-first mindset.”
“This is not business as usual,” Marcos said. “The people have spoken, and they expect results—not politics, not excuses. We hear them, and we will act.”
Only 6 of 11 Marcos-backed candidates won Senate seats in last week’s mid-term elections, seen as a referendum on the current administration.
“This is not about personalities—it’s about performance, alignment, and urgency,” Marcos said. “Those who have delivered and continue to deliver will be recognized. But we cannot afford to be complacent. The time for comfort zones is over.”
Malacañang said this step marks a clear transition from the early phase of governance “to a more focused and performance-driven approach.”
It assured government services will remain uninterrupted during the transition, and that stability, continuity, and meritocracy will guide the formation of his leadership team moving forward.
“With this bold reset, the Marcos administration signals a new phase—sharper, faster, and fully focused on the people’s most pressing needs,” Malacañang said.