More than 1,400 importers on the Philippine Bureau of Customs’ (BOC) list of those with shipments seized or forfeited from July 2010 to December 2016 have 15 calendar days to explain why their accreditation should not be suspended, the BOC said.
“Accredited importers who have seized and/or forfeited shipments are administratively liable and be subject to cancellation or revocation of customs accreditation privileges in accordance with pertinent customs laws, rules and regulations, unless satisfactory explanation is provided to refute and dispute the same,” said BOC officer-in-charge Gerardo Gambala, who is also deputy commissioner for Management Information System and Technology Group, in a notice to importers dated July 5.
The list holds the names of 1,469 importers with shipments at 14 collection districts.
BOC is giving these importers 15 calendar days from the date of email notification to submit their written explanation, “unless said explanation was previously undertaken in compliance with the show cause orders of the Bureau’s Account Management Office (AMO).”
If the email address indicated by the importer or customs broker to BOC is incorrect, the 15 calendar days will be reckoned from the date the notice was posted on BOC’s website, “which serves as sufficient notice.” The notice was posted on July 7.
Gambala said the 15-day period will not be extended.
In submitting the written explanation, the importer or customs broker should file one set with applicable attachments with AMO, and email to amo@customs.gov.ph using the BOC-provided template attached to the notice. The submission date is the receipt date for the written explanation.
“AMO may, at its discretion, require the appearance of the attorney-in-fact of the accredited importer who should be the authorized person to transact with the Bureau based on the importer’s AMO Accreditation Application,” Gambala said.
The written explanation should also “clearly and succinctly state the reasons why their customs accreditation privileges should not be cancelled/revoked.”
Failure to comply with the notice “shall be deemed as a waiver on [the importers’ or brokers’] part to provide an explanation and their customs accreditation privileges shall be cancelled or revoked,” Gambala said.
As for AMO, it will act on the written explanation within 30 days of receipt. Then an AMO memorandum resolving the issues will be prepared for the approval and consideration of the Customs commissioner, as endorsed by the Legal Service director and noted by the Revenue Collection and Monitoring Group (RCMG) deputy commissioner.
The Legal Service director and RCMG deputy commissioner will act on the submitted AMO memorandum within two working days of receipt, or up to six working days.
BOC early this year started posting online the list of importers and customs brokers with whom it has issues and concerns, part of the agency’s drive to delist or suspend erring accredited entities and parties. – Roumina Pablo
Image courtesy of pakorn at FreeDigitalPhotos.net