• The Philippine National Oil Company and the Batangas provincial government signed a Memorandum of Understanding on March 13, 2025, to explore the development of an Offshore Wind Integration Port in Batangas
• The initiative supports the 2023–2050 Philippine Energy Plan, aimed at expanding the country’s renewable energy capacity
• PNOC will lead feasibility studies, site assessments, and engagement with industry experts and government agencies to evaluate project viability
• Construction is expected to begin in late 2025, with the facility operational by 2027 and requires approximately $100 million for development, with PNOC exploring private sector partnerships
The Philippine National Oil Company (PNOC) and the Batangas provincial government signed a memorandum of understanding to explore the development of an Offshore Wind Integration Port (OSWIP) in Batangas, a key initiative aimed at strengthening the country’s renewable energy infrastructure.
Signed on March 13, 2025, the MOU underscores both parties’ commitment to advancing offshore wind (OSW) capabilities in line with the Philippine Energy Plan (PEP) 2023–2050.
The agreement was signed by PNOC President and CEO Oliver B. Butalid and Batangas Governor Hermilando Mandanas, alongside key officials from both sides. PNOC will spearhead feasibility studies, site selection, and engagement with industry experts and regulators to assess the viability of the OSW port.
The Batangas provincial government, in turn, will provide technical support, regulatory coordination, and community engagement to facilitate the project’s early-stage development. Its responsibilities also include data collection, organizing dialogues with communities and stakeholders, and identifying potential investment opportunities.
Construction of the OSWIP is expected to begin in late 2025, with the facility targeted for completion and operational readiness by 2027.
“This cooperation will send the right signal to investors, as they look for strong alignment between local and national governments. As PNOC continues to strengthen collaboration with LGUs, we recognize their critical role in energy development initiatives,” Butalid said.
According to Ma. Rowena Raymundo, PNOC senior vice president for energy investments, the estimated cost of the OSW integration port is around $100 million. “While PNOC can allocate its own funds for this purpose, we believe a partnership with private investors with a proven track record in OSW port development would be most ideal,” she said.
“PNOC will cause the development of the port, whether by itself or with a private partner. It is also looking at a straight lease business model for purely commercial purposes as another option,” added Raymundo.
PNOC had previously estimated P5 billion for the repurposing of its existing Batangas facility to serve as an OSW integration port, potentially through a public-private partnership.
READ: PPA soon to bid out P2.4B Camarines Norte offshore wind port project
Gov’t explores PPP to construct offshore wind farms near ports