Customs commissioner Rubio offers to resign
Customs commissioner Bienvenido Rubio. Photo from BOC.
  • Customs commissioner Bienvenido Rubio has offered to resign following President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr’s call for the courtesy resignation of Cabinet secretaries
  • Rubio said he is resigning to “give the President a free hand in assessing the performance of the heads of agencies and better improve the service to the Filipino people”

Customs commissioner Bienvenido Rubio has offered to resign following President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr’s call for the courtesy resignation of Cabinet secretaries.

It must be noted that Rubio is not a Cabinet secretary. The Bureau of Customs is a line agency under the  Department of Finance. Finance Secretary Ralph Recto has been retained by Marcos along with other members of the economic team.

In a statement on social media on May 23, Rubio said he is resigning to “give the President a free hand in assessing the performance of the heads of agencies and better improve the service to the Filipino people.”

He said he will “remain in full support of (the President’s) policies and reforms for national progress and development.”

There is no word yet on whether Marcos will accept Rubio’s resignation.

Also retained together with Recto were Trade and Industry Secretary Ma. Cristina Roque, Economy, Planning and Development Secretary Arsenio Balisacan, Budget and Management Secretary Amenah Pangandaman, and Special Assistant to the President for Investment and Economic Affairs Secretary Frederick Go.

Marcos earlier said “the evolving needs of the country require a renewed alignment, faster execution, and a results-first mindset.”

“This is not business as usual,” Marcos said. “The people have spoken, and they expect results—not politics, not excuses. We hear them, and we will act.”

Only 6 of 11 Marcos-backed candidates won Senate seats in last week’s mid-term elections, seen as a referendum on the current administration.

“This is not about personalities—it’s about performance, alignment, and urgency,” Marcos said. “Those who have delivered and continue to deliver will be recognized. But we cannot afford to be complacent. The time for comfort zones is over.”

You May Also Like

Gebrüder Weiss opens PH office

Global transport and logistics company Gebrüder Weiss officially opened its office in…

APECO pitches ecozone to Indonesian businesses

The Aurora Pacific Economic Zone and Freeport Authority is pitching its economic…
PortCalls August 27, 2025

PortCalls August 27, 2025

Our latest stories (Aug 27): International air freight forwarders in PH process…

MNHPI proposes 20.32% hike in cargo-handling tariff, other rates

Manila North Harbour Port is proposing a 20.32% hike in cargo-handling tariff,…