EDSA rehabilitation suspended for a month
President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr and his family — First Lady Liza Araneta-Marcos and their three sons — boarded a Mass Rail Transport 3 train at GMA-Kamuning Station in Quezon City on June 1, 1025 to mark the start of the Pamilya 1+3 promo. Under the promo, one paying passenger on MRT-3, and Light Rail Transit Lines 1 and 2 will entitle his/her three other companions to ride for free. The promo only applies during Sundays from June 1, 2025 to the last Sunday of June 2028. Photo from the Presidential Communications Office.
  • President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr suspended the rehabilitation of Epifanio delos Santos Avenue for a month
  • This, as the government searches for “better ways” to implement the project, which would have lasted for two years
  • As a result, the odd-event scheme was also suspended

The rehabilitation of Epifanio delos Santos Avenue (EDSA) has been postponed for a month as the government searches for “better ways” to implement the project.

President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr. announced the postponement today (June 1). The project, which would have started on June 13 and lasted for two years until 2027, was met with widespread fears of massive traffic congestion at the country’s premier thoroughfare.

At the launch of the Pamilya Pass 1+3 Promo at the Metro Rail Transit-3 GMA-Kamuning Station along EDSA in Quezon City, Marcos said he instructed Transportation Secretary Vince Dizon and Public Works and Highways Secretary Manuel Bonoan to pause the rehabilitation.

The President said new technologies not previously considered during the planning may significantly reduce the time required to complete the EDSA rehabilitation project.

The Department of Transportation (DOTr) said the President wants the construction to be speeded up to six months to minimize public inconvenience.

The government is conducting a cost-benefit analysis of rehabilitating EDSA for the long term, considering the short-term impact on traffic congestion.

“…ang laking sakripisyo ng dalawang taon na masyadong mabigat, masyadong mahigpit ang traffic. Kaya pause na muna ‘yan at sabi ko sa kanila, bigyan natin ang sarili natin ng isang buwan,” Marcos said.

(Two years is such a big sacrifice; traffic will be tight. Let’s pause first and give ourselves a month.)

Pero sa ngayon, maliwanag na maliwanag na napakarami ang mahihirapan pagka itinuloy natin ‘yung EDSA rehabilitation. In other words, ang sinasabi ko, we will find a better way na hindi masyadong mahirap para sa ating mga commuter,” Marcos stressed.

(Right now, it’s clear many will suffer if we push through with the rehabilitation. In other words, we will find a better way that won’t be too difficult for commuters.)

Related to the pause, the odd-even scheme meant to mitigate effects of the rehabilitation was also suspended by the DOTr. The scheme was to have started on June 16 under a one-month dry run.

Under the Pamilya Pass 1+3 Promo, one paying passenger on MRT-3, and Light Rail Transit Lines 1 and 2 will entitle his/her three other companions to ride for free. Aimed at strengthening Filipino family ties, the promo only applies during Sundays from June 1, 2025 to the last Sunday of June 2028. To mark the rollout, the President, First Lady Liza Araneta-Marcos and their three sons boarded an MRT-3 train at GMA-Kamuning Station in Quezon City.

You May Also Like
PortCalls August 27, 2025

PortCalls August 27, 2025

Our latest stories (Aug 27): International air freight forwarders in PH process…
Maritime companies confident in AI’s future, but…

Maritime companies confident in AI’s future, but…

Maritime companies may be confident that AI will have a big role…

TESDA partners with industry groups for tech-voc logistics, last-mile training

The Technical Education and Skills Development Authority formalized its partnership with two…

PAL offers more flight options to Siargao

Philippine Airlines is offering more flight options to Siargao via Clark and…