-
New aeronautical fees and charges, including landing and takeoff fees as well as cargo terminal fee, at Ninoy Aquino International Airport took effect on October 1
-
The cargo terminal fee for incoming international cargo is P200 per ton and P230 per ton on year one of the contract of new airport operator New NAIA Infrastructure Corp
-
For domestic incoming and outgoing cargo, the terminal fee is P100 per ton and P160 on year one of NNIC contract
-
Transport Secretary Jaime Bautista noted there has been no increase in NAIA rates in the last 24 years
New aeronautical fees and charges, including landing and takeoff fees as well as cargo terminal fee, at Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) took effect on October 1, according to Transport Undersecretary for Aviation and Airports Roberto Lim.
The implementation follows 15 days after publication of Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) Revised Administrative Order (AO) No. 01 series of 2024, which provides revised rates of fees, dues, charges or assessments collectible by the authority, Lim told PortCalls in an interview at the sidelines of the 2024 Aviation Summit hosted by the European Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines and Asian Business Aviation Association on October 2.
The fees will be charged by New NAIA Infrastructure Corp. (NNIC), which took over the 15-year management of NAIA on September 14.
Under AO No. 01, the new cargo terminal fee for incoming international cargo is P200 per ton and P230 per ton on year one of the NNIC contract.
For domestic incoming and outgoing cargo, the terminal fee is P100 per ton and P160 on year one of the contract.
For transshipment cargo, the cargo terminal fee is charged as incoming cargo and will be charged once.
The revised landing and take-off fees for international traffic start from a minimum rate of $794.00 (maximum 50,000 kg take-off weight of aircraft) applicable on year one of the new contract.
For a maximum 100,000 kg take-off weight of aircraft, the fees are $557.73 applicable from Oct 1, 2024 and $1,794.00 on year one of the contract.
For other fees, refer to AO 01.
The AO was issued after the proposed revised fees, dues, and charges were approved during the Special Cabinet Meeting on September 4 through Cabinet Resolution No. 01 series of 2024. AO No. 01 updates the fees imposed since 2000.
Non-regulated charges such as vehicle parking fees also took effect on October 1.
The passenger service charge, meanwhile, will take effect from the first anniversary of the takeover, which will be in September 2025. This charge exempts infants, overseas Filipino workers, and flight and extra crew.
Transport Secretary Jaime Bautista, in an interview with media at the sidelines of the summit, noted there had been no increase in NAIA’s rates in the last 24 years and that the new rates will allow the concessionaire to generate revenue “to be able to finance the infrastructure requirements to modernize the airport.”
NNIC has committed to spend P170 billion to execute its phased plan to elevate NAIA to world-class standards. This includes plans to increase passenger capacity from 43 million to 62 million annually and air traffic movements from 42 to 48 per hour.
The government is expected to rake in P900 billion in revenues for the duration of the concession agreement. This is inclusive of the concessionaire’s P30 billion upfront payment, fixed annuity payment of P2 billion annually, and 82.16% government share.
Asked if the higher rates will lead to higher airfares, Bautista said “not necessarily.”
“If it will increase it should not be a huge increase because the airlines can absorb parts of it,” he said.
“You know passengers won’t mind paying a little, a little bit more than what they are paying now if you have a very good airport experience,” Bautista added.
On higher vehicle parking rates, Bautista said the new regular rates “are not that high.” But overnight parking rates had to be jacked up to discourage overnight parking.
NNIC in a separate statement said previous parking rates unintentionally encouraged misuse of the airport’s limited parking spaces.
“Many individuals, including those from nearby establishments and with no airport-related business, were taking advantage of the low rates for overnight or long-term parking. This created parking shortage for actual passengers, adding to congestion and frustration,” the airport operator explained.
Bautista also belied a report claiming AO No. 01 was issued without Cabinet approval and that President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr. was “furious” about it.
“That is a false statement,” Bautista said, adding there had been several Cabinet meetings and a special meeting on the proposed adjustment of NAIA’s fees and charges. – Roumina Pablo