French firm Eiffel Matiere S.A. has agreed to renegotiate the P15-billion GMA (Greater Maritime Access) Ro-Ro port project contract it entered into with the previous Philippine administration.

Eiffel Matiere earlier threatened to sue the Philippine government after it scrapped the P15-billion project, which called for the installation of modular ports in 72 locations by 2012.

Transportation and Communications Secretary Manuel Roxas II said the project will be canceled but the contractor will be compensated properly based on the actual work done.

The project has already been started in six locations.

“The French proponent expressed a willingness to sit down and renegotiate the contract,” Roxas told members of the Makati Business Club last week.

A technical working group composed of the Philippine Ports Authority, Department of Finance, Office of the Solicitor General and the Department of Transportation and Communications will be formed to set parameters of the renegotiations.

Photo by Sistak

You May Also Like

New Batangas private port readied for multimodal integration

The newly-inaugurated Sinisian Lemery Batangas Port and Industrial Park Corp. is being…
PortCalls August 18, 2025

PortCalls August 18, 2025

Our latest stories (August 18): Cargo traffic in PH ports grows 7.8%…

PPA new policy on standardized tariffs, fees not retroactive

The Philippine Ports Authority’s new policy on the computation of port tariffs…
Maritime companies confident in AI’s future, but…

Maritime companies confident in AI’s future, but…

Maritime companies may be confident that AI will have a big role…