The Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) is expanding the Port of Coron in Palawan in view of growing cargo and passenger volumes.
PPA is spending P158 million this year to expand Coron port’s yard and wharf, Coron Terminal Management Office (TMO) division manager Erwin Gatpandan told reporters in an interview on June 16.
TMO Coron is under the Port Management Office of Palawan, which also has jurisdiction over the TMOs of Puerto Princesa, Cullon, El Nido, Brooke’s Point, and Cuyo in Palawan.
Gatpandan said Coron port has seen a 30% growth in passenger and cargo volumes in the last two years, and it is expected to see a further increase as more tourists and shipments are being handled this year.
The expansion budget covers the reclamation of 4,500 square meters of sea and the extension of the wharf by 51 meters.
When finished, Coron port’s wharf will measure 350 meters, Gatpandan said, adding that the expansion is expected to be completed before the year ends so the port can accommodate two big cruise ships scheduled to dock in January next year.
Last year, Coron port handled 15 cruise ships, up from eight in 2016, seven in 2015, and eight in 2014. For 2018, the port has already serviced 12 cruise ships as of June 15, and expects to handle a total of 20 cruise vessels this year. For next year, six cruise ships are already scheduled to call Coron from January to March, while cruise line Royal Caribbean has shown intent to call by October.
Aside from the ongoing projects, there are proposed projects for approval this year that seek to allow the accommodation of more vessels and volumes. These include the expansion of the warehouse, an additional back-up area, an additional roll-on/roll-off (Ro-Ro) ramp, and the construction of a new passenger terminal building (PTB).
Gatpandan said the proposed PTB will have a capacity of 500 passengers at a single time, an increase from the existing PTB’s 250-passenger capacity. Last year, Coron port handled 250,000 passengers, Gatpandan noted. More tourists are expected to come this year, especially with Boracay island’s temporary closure since April until October this year.
Dredging project
There is also a proposal to dredge the inner side of Coron port’s berth and deepen the draft to 8 meters from the current 1.5 meters to allow docking of vessels on that side. The main berth, meanwhile, has a draft of 10 meters.
Gatpandan said the proposal was made because more vessels are now calling the port. Last year, two shipping lines started their daily fast craft services, connecting Coron port to other Palawan ports. Prior to the launch of fast craft, only big boats that could handle up to 80 people were calling the port.
Cargo vessel calls at the port have also increased due to heightened construction works, particularly hotels and roads, on the island of Palawan. Incoming cargoes usually include construction and hardware materials, bottled products, prime commodities, and cement. Outgoing shipments, meanwhile, still consist mostly of frozen marine products.
The ongoing and proposed development projects for Coron port seek to accommodate future activities for the next five years, Gatpandan said, but noted that there is a long-term development plan for the port. – Text and photo by Roumina Pablo