The transfer of authority at the Bureau of Customs (BOC) has started on June 13, outgoing Customs Commissioner Alberto Lina said.
In a press conference on June 14, Lina said the formal transition of leadership to incoming bureau chief Nicanor Faeldon has already started.
During the two-and-a-half-hour initial meeting on June 13, Lina said they discussed ways to expedite transactions and stop corruption. They also mulled over the need to add or rationalize officials and employees in the bureau. Lina noted that they have already been restructuring the organizational structure since the reform of the agency started.
More key issues will be discussed in the next meetings, Lina said.
He noted that the top challenge Faeldon will face at BOC is to collect P1.4 billion in revenues per day, as well as to facilitate trade and manage people.
Meanwhile, Lina said BOC is drafting the implementing rules and regulations (IRR) of the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act (CMTA) for submission to its mother agency Department of Finance (DOF) before the close of the incumbent administration. A two-day public consultation on the IRR was called last week.
Outgoing Finance Secretary Cesar Purisima earlier said incoming DOF Secretary Carlos Dominguez’s team will approve the IRR of the CMTA.